9/17/2006

Turning Two

This little blog turns two in a few weeks. My first post on October 4, 2004 reminds me now of Kindergarten. Just a picture. Words came later. The local 'sphere, once upon a time was pretty slow, too. It consisted of Craig on the West side, Jennifer who kept track of everything and a lawyer from Clarence. That was it. Things have changed with Newell and Marc contributing to the expansion and popularity of blogging and citizen journalism. Never would have thought, two years ago, that the msm would be calling and e-mailing the 'new media'. More reflection on the social role of blogging and its impact on process stuff later on.

While I'd like to think my keyboard and camera have had something to do with recent near East side success stories - Artspace, BAVPA, Merriweather Library - I know otherwise. Not buying any post hoc stuff. I've actually failed rather well in what I set out to do two years ago, connecting a qualified buyer with the City owned Woodlawn Row Houses.

So, to mark two years and begin another, I'll be sending an e-mail to my expanding list of 'teachers' - people I've met mostly on account of my blogging and whose work and writing I've come to admire. I'll be asking them what they are currently reading - books, journals, authors and websites - that are informing and inspiring their own critique of Buffalo and what it can become tomorrow. Some of you know who you are. The list is growing, so be ready. Should make for some good reading.

Meanwhile, I get lots of e-mail. Investors asking me to check up on property, send them pics and looking for additional insight on various deals they're concocting. I've collected some of my favorites. Check it out - fan mail and hate mail. Love it all, especially from lawyers and people who own churches.
__________________________________________________________________________
Artspace ArchiveAnnals of NeglectBAVPAWhere is Perrysburg?Broken Promises...
Writing the CityWoodlawn Row HousesTour dé Neglect - 2006faqmy flickr

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the mention! You rock, David! Happy Birthday to the blog.

Anonymous said...

does this mean you have entered the terrible twos?

congrats and thanks for helping move things along in the city!

fixBuffalo said...

thanks...feel free to chime in with reading suggestions and on-line materials that have moved you and inspire your own critique of the City...

Anonymous said...

You are a good photographer! Next mission...........A Cafe on Main St