9/22/2006

Small Red House

Frequent readers know of my recent obsession with small houses. I went in search of Buffalo's smallest house recently - here and here and finally found it at 269 Fox Street. I think these designs are totally worth replicating and present a viable alternative to the "vinyl madness" that is covering Buffalo's neighborhoods and houses. Roger invited me over to take a few pictures.
DSCN4995
There are trade-offs. Always trade offs. Maybe you'll need a shed out back for additional storage or you might want a series of yard sales before down-sizing. Our initial conversation included a description of utility costs which seemed ridiculously low. Perhaps these lower costs would translate into longer term stability among some groups of home buyers. Way worth exploring. You'd think living in a colder climate here in the North East, we'd have these things figured out by now when it comes to energy efficiency and staying warm. I've consider adding a thermally efficient wood burning system, like this Euro thing. Love the radiant floor, Roger.

Check out the rest of the pics in - Small House slide show. A model way worth replicating. Max just sent in a pic from Lancaster, PA of a really cool small house. Thanks Max...
__________________________________________________________________________
Artspace ArchiveAnnals of NeglectBAVPAWhere is Perrysburg?Broken Promises...
Writing the CityWoodlawn Row HousesTour dé Neglect - 2006faqmy flickr

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey fix - there are lots of us out there, and most of us are at least 100 years old...shall we send in our pictures?

small houses on the west side

fixBuffalo said...

dear tiny and cute...

that's a great idea...spread the word, I'll collect and post. You know about Coe and Ada Place?

Anonymous said...

dear fix,

coe and ada are great. but there are so many more of us. some of us you can't even see from the street...we like it that way

fixBuffalo said...

dear tiny and cute...

e-mail with more...sounds intriguing.

Anonymous said...

Aaah.....

David...the small red house in my neighborhood....

I love this house...Great house..its my favourite house in the city!!!!

Grrrr!!!!you went to this house and I wasn't there....!!!!

David said...

if it's not intrusive, what sort of costs did the homeowner incur, if you know? I remember the lot when it was empty and have always liked what the homeowners were able to do with the space.
I'm curious as to the cost of building exactly what they wanted as opposed to finding something of the ballpark square footage in a rehabed home..

thanks

Anonymous said...

land 26K
sewer and water hook up 6k
house 29k
labor priceless

David said...

Thanks Roger. Great job by the way.

Unknown said...

Interesting blog. I found you while looking for color schemes for my own small house in Atlanta. I'm definitely an advocate! My house will be red in a few months as a result of that red house pic. Thanks!
Mark