9/17/2006

Freddies Donuts

While grabbing a quick lunch the other day at Quaker Bonnet on Allen, my friend noticed a stack of Freddies Donut boxes on the counter. The bottom pic is from last summer.

Freddies

DSCN1576

Don't know if it's an urban legend, but I've heard that Krispy Kreme borrowed the conveyor belt idea from this location on Main Street at the end of Michigan right here in Buffalo, NY. The building at 1653 Main Street (google map) is still owned by Fred Maier. He lives close by.
__________________________________________________________________________
Artspace ArchiveAnnals of NeglectBAVPAWhere is Perrysburg?Broken Promises...
Writing the CityWoodlawn Row HousesTour dé Neglect - 2006faqmy flickr

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

hear tell that most of the equipment is still inside, and that the owner still keeps it up. and that his children are not interested in the business.

isn't there a local donut entrepreneur around? wouldn't it be excellent to have a donut place in the city again?

fixBuffalo said...

peanut stick,

you read my mind! Loved the glazed!

fixBuffalo said...

He lives close by. I'll go knock on his door...

Unknown said...

If he's not going back into business, perhaps someone can convince him to sell the property. It's an eyesore, and has been for years.

fixBuffalo said...

Jeff

Yup...it was on the short list last year when Postal People were looking for a new site for 14209 re-location.

Anonymous said...

There were other Freddies Doughnuts owned and operated by relatives in: Flint & Lansing MI, Rochester NY and Arlington MA.

David said...

I would be interested in the recipes and all info about the company, any training info for bakers or managers that the company put out for their shops.

I wont to use them to open a shop of my own in Philippines and Japan, I cant use the name but would love to make all the different kinds and with same as possible taste.

My father used to bring home boxes of donuts as a teat to us kids, the eclairs and cream filled and the new one with strawberry filling were the best. I took my ex Japanese wife to a shop in 1991 when we stayed in Lockport New York where I was born. she was impressed with all the different kinds availibl and better tast then Dunkin's in Japan.

I have worked for Wenscells Donuts in Reno Nevada, there biggest money maker and as i travel world wide a lot Dunkin Donuts are all over but I still think Freddies were the best and always had a better selection and just looked better even in the glass case.

davidmartin0406@yahoo.com

Anonymous said...

Freddie's wife was very ill, what happened to her?