1/30/2007

Total Wow!!! - inside 97 Dodge Street

While checking out the exterior of 97 Dodge Street this afternoon, I walked around back. Wide open, so...
IMG_4024 IMG_4033
Wrote about this spot yesterday - Biting My Tongue! - Really amazing inside. Just loved the attic space. 95% of the woodwork through out the house is still in place. Appeared as though electric and heating had been updated recently, too.

Here's the flickr slide show - Inside 97 Dodge Street

Had a dinner meet-up with a restoration artist and film maker from the Czech Republic. She was totally amazed with the potential of 97 Dodge Street. When she saw this map and realized that this spot is steps from the subway and around the corner from Artspace...she thought for a moment that Buffalonians have forgotten something important. Her current restoration work connects her to Buffalo's heritage and she's very hopeful that someone will step-up and complete this project. She's ready to help in lending her expertise. Let me know...i'll make the connection.

Wanna take a closer look, join me for a Saturday walking tour of the Artspace Backyard.
__________________________________________________________________________
Artspace ArchiveAnnals of NeglectBAVPAWhere is Perrysburg?Broken Promises...
Writing the CityWoodlawn Row Housesfaqmy flickr

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

who would tear down such a fabulous house? does it have a fireplace? what a beauty.

Anonymous said...

i just took the inside tour and i saw the fireplace. this house fully restored would be a contributing asset to an historic district.

Anonymous said...

I'm in love! ;)

I was wondering what the staircase looked like. And pocket doors!

I'll be there again sat.

Anonymous said...

I concur...Truly amazing!

Black Rock Advocate said...

Marked for demo Amazing.

Anonymous said...

Okay, that attic rocks way more than the one I am typing in right now... See, this is why I hesitate to go on one of your Sat. morning tours--I don't know if I could handle the emotional torment of seeing houses that would send my little hamster wheels into spinning thoughts of, "Oh what I could do with this if only I had some money!"

Denizen said...

The woodwork is nothing short of breathtaking. So many people would kill to have that level of craftsmanship in their own homes.

Our society certainly doesn't build things now like they used to....

Just by looking at those few pictures, the attic is one of the best I've seen. In a sought-after neighborhood it would by a luxury 1bdrm apartment all by itself.

redscreamer said...

How does this city allow this sort of thing to happen? Inexcusable.

Anonymous said...

That's my fear right now, leaving it open for someone to strip the woodwork or deface it.

Unknown said...

OK, I think that we are all saying "let's save this home". Funding - I venture that it would take $50,000 to do a somewhat decent job on renovations and I think this is way underestimated on my part. How do we get the funds like the HUD Streamline K or is there too much red tape with that? Cleaning up the crack addicts' garbage is easy enough, but a new roof, gutters, furnace, bathroom, kitchen, etc. now that's what's going to matter. Perhaps it is a question of everyone working collectively. Thanks to David for showing us future possibilities...

fixBuffalo said...

Cathy,

I'm not familiar with the HUD Streamline K product you mention.

Best case scenerio perhaps - money in one hand and a plan in the other.

If anyone is interested in presenting such a deal to the City, let me know as I may be able to point you in the right direction.

I think the 50K may be a good place to start to shore up the shell and bring services to the place. Depending on the level of interior finish, price goes up...Should know that the roof appeared to be in excellent condition. There was no evidence of any water damage.

I know that a number of general contractors visit my site on a regular basis. Perhaps an offer to help and inspect the property is on the immediate horizon...me thinks.

Again come around on the Saturday neighborhood tour if you'd like to take a closer look...

Anonymous said...

I grew up at 97 dodge and sold it and held the mortgage and that was a disaster. My parents purchased the home in 1959. Cost a fortune to heat. Updated the wiring in the 1990"s. New furnace was put in also. We use to roller skate in the attic. What a beautiful home and still has the potential.
Bruce

fixBuffalo said...

Bruce,

Thanks for commenting. When you have a moment, please email me

davidtorke@gmail.com

I'd like to know more about the house and if you have an pics from back in the day.

Thanks,

David

Totalrenovering said...

Its really not a total wow, but also a big WOW. Its amazing and really beautiful. Thank you for posting your great article. Keep up the good work.