1/02/2007

note to fixBuffalo readers...

I've received significant support and encouragement from a number of fixBuffalo readers, friends and neighbors asking me to re-consider my decision to shut things down after my failure to help close a deal regarding the City of Buffalo owned Woodlawn Row Houses last month. There is now another deal that may be worth considering...we'll see.

I had the good fortune of being able to visit some long time friends recently in a rather vibrant community in southern Vermont and am returning to Buffalo with a deeper appreciation for the City's near east side, my keyboard and some rudimentary photographic skills that I'd like to hone. Batteries are charged. Still, narrowly focused on the City's near east side yet I will continue writing about developments and issues that I think pertain to the long term growth of this community.

In the next few weeks, I'm determined to focus on a number of properties surrounding the future home of Performing Arts High School that are controlled by Bethel Community Development Corporation - which of course is controlled by Rev. Richard Stenhouse who just happens to be the treasurer and secretary of Buffalo's Fiscal Stability Authority - Buffalo's control board. Five totally messed up houses, directly across the street from the 30m re-construction project of Performing Arts High School. So, so not cool...

Other projects include finding a re-use - at some level - for Transfiguration Church on Sycamore knowing full well that additional architecturally significant church buildings will be dumped by the diocese very soon. And the Community Action Organization's complete disregard for the safety of neighbors living near the German Roman Catholic Orphan Home down on Dodge Street will continue to be documented, too. Will ratchet things up a bit. That architectural wonder is still literally falling apart and sits wide open still after three years of the CAO's ownership. Ellicott District Councilman Brian Davis is President of the CAO's Board.

Living in a neighborhood that is experiencing decline on so many levels is at times exhausting. And then the writing and documenting of this decline had just simply sapped my strength. Yet it's where I live and as I've shared with some readers recently, I live in part to communicate and express what I experience...and despite the fact that two tennis courts are planned fifty feet away from my front door in the Spring - part of Performing Arts HS - the decline in my neighborhood, what could be characterized perhaps as forgotten Buffalo is where I live and what I experience on a daily basis will continue to be documented. So, please accept my apology for exiting briefly before the job got done.

Happy New Year - and now, back to the blogging...
__________________________________________________________________________
Artspace ArchiveAnnals of NeglectBAVPAWhere is Perrysburg?Broken Promises...
Writing the CityWoodlawn Row Housesfaqmy flickr

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ah...what a great start to the New
Year! This made my work day!

Hopefully this will continue to be a positive outlet for you with results. Golisano had to go 5 years without a pay check and look where he got through perseverence. Keep laying the ground work and keep the faith. You never no what lays ahead, but putting in the effort increases the chances for something great.

I'm also still interested in any walks/urb-ex etc!!

fixBuffalo said...

MJ...

thanks for the kudos, again!

Will keep you and others posted here about tours/walks, etc...

Best,

David

Anonymous said...

To the Mayor of Midtown:

My crystal ball told me you'd be back in no time. We're in it for the long haul, David. The East Side doesn't have many advocates. One less David Torke is too many, and I'm glad you're back. Will contact you soon about some ideas regarding the Woodlawn Rowhouses.

In actuality you've probably accomplished more in terms of generating attention for Midtown and Cold Springs than the Convention & Visitors Bureau has done for the entire goddamn region in the same period, and they have a staff and a budget! In under two years, this blog and your passion for the neighborhood has created a very firm groundswell for salvaging the best of our East Side and gradually laying the foundation for reversing its decline. As Steel noted, it takes a lot of work and time to turn around an oncoming train.

Welcome back!

Chris Hawley

fixBuffalo said...

Chris & buffalorox...

thanks...not like i was planning to move or anything ;)...have already planned my next get away...gotta do that more often...

Anonymous said...

David, great to see you back in action!

Anonymous said...

so glad you're back! now you just need to join wnymedia.net!

fixBuffalo said...

thanks Mark...looking forward to collaborating on a number of projects...

dcoffee said...

This is great news, I definitely missed you, welcome back.

Anonymous said...

Glad you're back although I got sort of used to living without you. Looking forward to new photos.