4/15/2007

City's Action Plan...

Did you know the City has a plan? I didn't untill this week. Here it is - Action Plan 2007-2008. The plan was prepared by our Common Council. Of particular interest is how Common Council President David Franczyk's introduction paints Buffalo...

We are, however, not blind to the depredations which have befallen Buffalo and hundreds of other American cities in more than a half-century of urban decline, a decline which threatens the heart of America's civilization.

A prominent urban critic wrote that today's Buffalo resembled a city carpet-bombed in World War II. Others in the popular media brand some areas of the city as looking like ravaged areas in Beirut or Baghdad.

We may reassure ourselves that these critics were engaging in unfair hyperbole given the many attractive features in Buffalo, but these biting words also underscore that our most challenging task is to revitalize neighborhood's crucified by decades of slum and blight. The City of Buffalo's Department of Strategic Planning reports that as many 10,000 dilapidated structures need to be torn down at a staggering cost of $170 - million. Many census tracks in the city show that nearly 40% of the people live in heart-breaking poverty...
read the rest...

I believe David Franczyk may be referring to this writer that I wrote about in Woe is Moi, way back in the time machine.

Additionally the plan calls for a second Housing Court Judge and adoption of a Smart Code...very very good news if you are planning to stick around Buffalo. Call the moving company and cancel the truck to Charlotte. Check out the table of contents. I've hyper-linked the six sections.
Curious to know what fixBuffalo readers are thinking...
__________________________________________________________________________
ArtspaceBAVPATour d'Neglect - 2007Woodlawn Row Housesfaqmy flickr
the creativity exchangeCEOs for Cities

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

There are many good, exciting things posted in the city's "Action Plan", but I no longer get excited over proposed development and forward progress as something always seems to get in the way. Whether it's bickering politicians who can never agree on a plan, or general lackluster performance on once good intentions, it seems as if there is little progress in Buffalo to look back on and smile upon.
As a new reader to your blog (this is my 1st post), I can say that while I had a decent knowledge of both the history and current state of Buffalo, you have really opened my eyes to the general state of the city. I've spent the last two weekends driving by a lot of the historic properties that you heroically try to protect, and it saddens me that once beautiful structures are left to rot because of neglegent owners (including the City of Buffalo) just don't care. Heck - I think that a lack of caring by the general public is what ails every last building that you've identified over the years.
Lets hope that the city can actually act on their "plan" for the good of all of us.

fixBuffalo said...

Anon...

thanks for stopping by and learning more about this part of the City.

Please consider meeting-up on a Saturday morning at 11am. Tours leave from the Sonic Cafe of the Artspace Backyard neighborhood...

Lack of caring is huge. Please keep in mind that the barriers to entry - getting involved - are very low here in Buffalo.

Anonymous said...

I think the lack of caring is a defeated attitude people have seeing elected officials do nothing. No matter how nice u keep your property all around you city owned eyesores dot landscape bringing down what you have worked so hard for. Its a thankless job knowing whatever you put in to make your home better you will never see a return because morons run city. Still Buffalonians elected these morons to lead them and Buffalonians do nothing to get the donothing aholes outa office. Why cry to everyone? If you dont take steps to correct the mess and those that you elected into office doing nothing than u all deserve ur crumbling city.

Anonymous said...

I used to a proponent of the "city" and the urbanity of being in the city. As a planner, that type of "attitude" appealed to me but also the understanding of the urban core did as well. However, as I've aged and my life has changed and I've become more experienced in my field, I've become jaded and cynical, and one reason is people. Yep, the very backbone of a city. The leaders, the neighborhood groups and especially the penny-less obstructionists who complain and complain and complain. They want tings done their way but aren;t the ones wanting to invest millions. They want everythign done on their agenda and when it's not, they cop their attitude of "keepers of the city." Nothing gets done in the city because people like Tim Tielman and the New Millenium Group get in the way.

I love your work David because you're the only one advocating for the marginalized areas. New Millenium is pro0Elmwood and pro-North Buffalo and they come out in droves when those areas an in the news but where are they on the East Side or South Buffalo? Missing because it doesn't directly impact their neighborhood.

For me, what keeps me out of the city is two things: lots. Yes, house lots. I can't live on 33 feet of frontage or 35. I don';t need 100 but 55 or 60 would be nice with some depth to it. Sounds stupid right? But think about the appeal of the suburbs? What is it? Space! I think the burbs are too big but a 60x140 lot is very dense and can allow for some private space where a 33x100 is a joke.

Ironic because I'm a house junkie. I love 'em and am infatuated with 'em, especially in the city. But I wouldn't take a great house on a tiny lot.

The second is school. When you have kids, the luxury of "ideals" disappears. I have a friend in Elmwood who bought a house 2 years ago knowing full well when the kids come in 5 years, they're moving to the burbs.

Sad but true....

Anonymous said...

Buffalo locates their schools across from vacant crackhouses and I as well would not send my children there. Mayor Moron should at the very least zero in on the properties MOST city owned that are around the schools. Its so sad that children see that as their future in the city. Baghdad is more appealing.

Anonymous said...

Try Parkside neighborhood for big lots, anon. Plenty of 50x175+ lots there.