12/03/2006

German Roman Catholic Orphan Home - Archive

I'll archive various links relating to the German Roman Catholic Orphan Home on this page.


Make sure to check out this site, documenting the social history of this orphan home that includes a guest book with all sorts of entries from former residents. Prior to that original website going dark, as many Geocities sites did, I preserved the site via the Internet Archive.

Another map shows the buildings and check out this 1915 map of Buffalo that provides additional context about the neighborhood and the city.

If you are interested in other Buffalo orphan homes, make sure to visit Buffalo Orphanage Studies.

Update - 12/5/10 - The social history documenting the GRCO is now available through the Internet Archive - here's that link, preserved.

oldbldg

IMG_3463


I've archived various GRCO photo sets below. Follow these links to flickr slide shows and photo sets.
__________________________________________________________________________
ArtspaceBAVPAWoodlawn Row HousesfixBuffalo flickr
Creative ClassShrinking CitiesSaturdays in the Neighborhood

9 comments:

Unknown said...

I was a resident of the German Roman Catholic Orphan Home from approximately 1943 until 1952. I left there when ten years old.

It greatly disturbs me that the orphanage deteriorated and no longer exists. What a shame that such history and a great part of my life was allowed to slip away. I am heart broken.

I remember a thriving upper middleclass neighborhood that donated time and talent to the orphanage and its many children. Some children were there because one of the parents was sick and the other could not care for the child/children temporarily. We used to walk with the sisters to a nearby park and museum on occasion. Thank you Sisters and the Catholic Church for my faith that has sustained me all my sixty-eight years. I remember Sister Mary John and Sister Bonaventure who taught me important lessons I still carry with me today. I learned discipline, perseverance, and the difference between right and wrong. What lifelong blessings I received from being at that orphanage.

fixBuffalo said...

Nora - I've just linked to an archived version of the social history site that had been maintained by a former GRCO resident.

Anonymous said...

Nora i am happy to know that your stay went well. my stay was the complete oposite . you see i was the only black child in that place my name is PAULINE Do you remember me?

Janice said...

I too was a resident of the German Roman Catholic Orphanage from 1947 to 1953. It is a shame to see what a deplorable condition it got into. It had some beautiful architecture. My sisters and brother were all there and while there were bad times, there were many good times also.

Anonymous said...

I also was in GRC about 1949-56' along with 2 sisters and 3 brothers, although my parents were living! It was very difficult....I would love to talk or text all or any of you...... I need some memories!!! I remember a nice nun....Sister Leona Marie......We would sing "I love coffee I love tea...I love Sister Leona Marie". Does anyone remember Sister Mathodias? She was mean.....
Pauline, I think I remember you.... You were my friend.....

My name is Veronica...

Unknown said...

My name is carol. I went in when I was a nrwborn. I had parents too.My too sisters in one side
Me and my brother were both infants. My name is carol. How did you get me. I was born in 45. When did go in.?

Unknown said...

Yes I do. She was mean. My sisters didn't know my brother and me were in the infant side. My other sisters found out another girl. They didn'T want them to know. I hated that place. They did so much to me. My sister gotten beaten such they had to pull her out.

Anonymous said...

My brother and I were in GRCO in the early 1940's. Horrible place. I knew a black girl named Wanita or Juanita (probably I spelled incorrectly). My name is Fran

Anonymous said...

My mother in law Mary Anne Dodge was at this orphanage in 1947/1948. She is looking for a very good friend she lost contact with Angeline Bassette or something like that, i you know her or you are her please leave a comment she would love to connect with you again.