11/23/2007

City's Newest Superfund Site

Last March I stumbled upon the burned out and rotted hulk of a two story warehouse building sitting near the railroad viaduct at 202 Walden Avenue [google map]. Wrote about it here - What if? - and followed up in May with - Wide Open...Why? Found the place to be secured today, more than a year after a devastating fire ripped through this place, the former home of Bandag Tire.
IMG_1602
Couldn't help noticing the construction trailer and fencing oppostite the former Bandag site recently and quickly noticed the EPA Superfund signage, too.
IMG_1604
Here's the facility detail report from the EPA site. Rather amazing as this place is located next to two city schools and has been 'wide open' for the better part of a year.
IMG_1605 IMG_1606 IMG_1607 IMG_1598
click image to enlarge
Will call on Monday to get the update, 'till then anyone know more about this? Any estimates on the cost of the building's demolition or who's going to pay? Let me know.
__________________________________________________________________________
ArtspaceBAVPAWoodlawn Row Housesmy flickr
the creativity exchangelatest blog comments

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I couldn't believe it when I saw that building. In Nov. 1968 until March 1970, my husband and I lived in one of the houses across the street from that building. It was the Rich's Plant at that time. I don't think that the house we lived in is there any longer, unless it's the green one seen in the picture of the trailer.

I haven't been to Buffalo for about 8 yrs. so I didn't know what had happened to it. Thought you might want to know that Rich's was there before the tire company.

Anonymous said...

Very cool additional info Anon.

Another photo op about to go bye-bye :)