8/25/2009

Commenting on Comments

While this blog is in a state of flux - as the primary purpose behind this blog has burned down and the debris is now buried in a landfill south of Buffalo in Chaffee, NY (see this post) - I'd like to take a moment to remind readers to act responsibly when you decide to comment on a post.

While most of my posting will contain a daily pic from the City's East side, I will occasionally post about topics that are sensitive and timely - about developments that impact my neighborhood here on the City's East side and that are connected to issues that may shape policy on various levels, in this the third poorest City in the country.

I've tossed the comment stream into moderation in the past - I will again. Transparency - knowing who we are engaging with - builds and shapes dialog in meaningful ways. So, if you comment here occasionally or frequently, I encourage you to use your name or an avatar you're generally known by. If you desire to remain - for whatever reason - 'anonymous' is fine. But in either case, please be responsible - site facts, sources and move the dialog forward in an informed and meaningful way. While I've rarely removed comments, going forward I will delete comments that i think are inflammatory or mean spirited on any side of a particular issue. I will then place comments in 'moderation'.

If you think about this as a sandbox, build something cool. Don't throw sand. My neighbors, city residents and all the Buffaloians in diaspora that check in here on a regular basis are counting on you. Thanks.
__________________________________________________________________________
ArtspaceBAVPAWoodlawn Row HousesfixBuffalo flickr
Creative ClassShrinking CitiesSaturdays in the Neighborhood

1 comment:

David said...

My only comment is: keep up the great work, David, and don't abandon the Fix Buffalo Today blog because of the tragic and senseless loss of the row houses.

The need is greater than ever not just to hold the city administration accountable, but to define a vision for the future of Buffalo that can be embraced alike by preservationists, urban-pioneers, social and for-profit entrepreneurs, and even city officials (though they'll likely come last).

I spend a lot of time looking at community websites, and this is one of only a couple I have on my own blogroll. While there are plenty of academic-style, airy-fairy, urban-planning blogs around, what you have here may be unique in the nation: you are about documenting a rolling catastrophe with a clear eye, asking the questions that must be asked, and highlighting the occasional "green shoots."

For those of us with some connection to and affection for the city, the photos and stories are almost unbearably painful, but a very important witnessing.