Demone Smith, Masten District Councilmember, introduced a resolution (.pdf) yesterday urging NYSDOT to study a third option - the Boulevard Option - as New York State prepares a $2 million feasibility study to fix the Kensington. Currently two options are on the table, each involving placing a "cap" over the Kensington over a one-mile stretch between East Delavan and Best streets. These two options would cost between $350-$500 million. The Boulevard Option, which would fill the entire highway and restore Humboldt Parkway as a multiway boulevard, would likely cost much less.
Demone Smith's resolution calls on NYSDOT to put all feasible options on the table in its "Study to Cover Portions of Rt. 33," including the Boulevard Option. WKBW is running with the story.
This afternoon I caught up with Demone and discussed the importance of his resolution and the new Boulevard Option. Here's the podcast.
- Richard Tobe - Fixing the Kensingston Part VI (5/15/10)
- Stephanie Barber - Fixing the Kensington Part V (5/13/10)
- Terry Robinson - Fixing the Kensington Part IV (5/6/10)
- Bury this Big Mistake - Fixing the Kensington Part II (3/4/10)
- Fixing the Kensington - Part I (2/23/10)
- fixBuffalo Kensington photos